Wednesday, July 9

I've gone straight (well kinda)


OK, so life has been totally insane for weeks now but in a good way. It has been difficult to post here at motherbumper which is weird because I've been writing my little butt off every spare moment that I can find.

What have I been writing about that hasn't been appearing on motherbumper? Well Gigi and I have been all over town doing research for my new job. You read that right: I've gone legit and gots me a job.

When I heard that City Mama, Stefania was looking for City Editors for places all over North America, I thought "wow, I could get a job talking about the stuff that Gigi and I do each and every day? HOLY HECK!".

Seriously, do you know how many times in the past I've written a post about things we find around town or tidbits I've discovered about cracking the code of my child and then never published because I didn't think it was suitable for motherbumper? Of course you don't because I don't publish those posts. But trust me when I say it happens often.

So I checked out the site that was looking for contributors because I've tried out some other parenting sites and found they were just are too broad or overwhelming corporate for my liking. But when I checked out Savvy Source the first thing that struck me was the focus - preschoolers and only preschoolers. And then I noticed they have some fantastic bloggers that I adore covering their home cities (I lifted the list below from Christina over at A Mommy Story). Then I said "sold, now how do I get them to hire me?" So I wrote my little heart out, maybe threw out a bribe, with buttery words or two, and managed to land myself the Toronto City Editor job.


Now I'm a very proud member of this looooooong list of City Editors from around North America:

Christina (Columbus)

Shawn Burns (Silicon Valley)

Kim Mordecai (Sacramento)

Jonathon Morgan (Austin)

Caitlin Giles (Chicago)

Mike Adamick (San Francisco)

Leticia (DC Metro)

Rachel Mosteller (Houston)

Casey of Moosh in Indy (Indianapolis)

Colleen (Delaney Diaries) (San Antonio)

Aimee of Greeblemonkey (Denver)

Rita Arens of Surrender Dorothy (Kansas City)

Jenny Ciampa (San Diego)

Bethany Dunn (Seattle)

Kelly Leahy (New Orleans)

Amy Kuras (Detroit)

Nicole Teed (Charleston)

Meredith Pelham (Nashville)

Julie Woo Yang (Honolulu)

Amy Davis (The Lovely Mrs. Davis) (Atlanta)

Becky (Tampa) (Tampa)

Heather Gibbs Flett(Rookie Moms) (Oakland/Berkeley)

Whitney Moss (Rookie Moms) (Oakland/Berkeley)

Kim Prince (San Fernando Valley)

Amelia Sprout (Minneapolis/St. Paul)

Jill Notkin (Boston)

Nina Moon (Los Angeles)

Gwendolyn Floyd (Vancouver)

If you have a preschooler in the Toronto area and are looking for things to do or have any suggestions of places, events, parks, drop-in centres, etc that Gigi and I should check out in the city, please come on over to Savvy Source Toronto and drop me a comment or email at SavvyToronto [@] gmail [.] com. I'm there every weekday and totally looking forward to hearing from you (no seriously, I am).

And don't worry (like you were really worried but), I'll still be over here dropping f-bombs and spinning stories about crazed emus or things my daughter has lodged up her nose, because that's what being a motherbumper is all about.

24 comments:

Backpacking Dad said...

Hey! That's great news!

;}

I wish I stilled lived in Toronto.

Say, what is there for a pre-schooler to do somewhere between the Brunswick House and the Ferret and Firkin? All of my Toronto geography is bar related.

SciFi Dad said...

Congrats on the new gig, MB. It looks awesome, and you totally deserve it.

Amy Urquhart said...

I saw your name on Christina's blog and thought "Oh, she's perfect for that gig!"

Congrats!

moosh in indy. said...

WHEE! Oh the savvy jokes we can tell. I'm honored to be a part of this with someone as freaking awesome as you.

Janet said...

How awesome is that? Congratulations. You'll do a fantastic job.

mamatulip said...

CONGRATS!

Jezer said...

Congratulations!

It's pretty cool that two of my favorite writers (you and Rachel Mosteller) contribute to the same online publication.

Sandra said...

Congrats - what a perfect fit. I REALLY look forward to reading about your finds...

karengreeners said...

hooray for you!

Ali said...

congrats! i can't wait to read it!!

Stefania/CityMama said...

How much do you rule? Lots. Honored to be working alongside you. We have a great team of similarly awesome and talented peeps, don't we?

Don Mills Diva said...

That is awesome - congrats - I'm gonna go right over and check it out!

Chris said...

Congrats!

for a different kind of girl said...

Very cool! To have fun AND write about it? Makes this motherhood gig a bit easier to swallow! Enjoy!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Congrats on the gig! Love that picture of you and your girl.

Mandy said...

Yeah!!

Well done.

Jess said...

Aw hell, I KNEW you were gonna go and get all famous on us....

(snerk.)

WOO-HOO for the motherbumpah!

(And my GOD could your kid get any fricking CUTER?)

Run ANC said...

Awesome news -- are we live now? You know I'll be reading.

Love the pic, btw. That's a keeper for sure.

Anonymous said...

One day, when you're famous, I'll be able to say I knew you when!!

congrats my friend!!! And I'll definetly be checking the site out as I always need something to do on my days off with Sam.

Kyla said...

Awesome! Now I have to check out the Houston lady, because I don't know her!

Urban Daddy said...

Hey, congrats, that is great.

I know this great Tim Horton's in the Yonge / Sheppard area that is pretty happening. LOL.

b*babbler said...

Awesome news! That's terrific... and what an amazingly cool job.

Tania said...

That's an amazing gig, but it is getting a little too tiring stalking you with all the places that you are writing these days. I may have to move on.

AmyinMotown said...

So happy to be hanging with you! Thanks for the link. I only wish I was raising a Toronto preschooler--it's one of my favorite cities in the whole world and a wonderful getaway from Detroit. If you opt to take the 401 the other way, give me a shout!