Wednesday, March 12

Portrait of a Truthiness as a Youngish Woman

Updated: with more linky love - right around the bottom, the links, not the love.

Sorry 'bout that James Joyce.

Anyhow, not many know this but I silently stalk this big time blogger that you probably all know named Sweetney (I will not share a picture of the shrine I built to her and her dog) and only recently did I start leaving the odd (trust me:odd - like start a police file odd) comment on her site.

Blog stalking is so immature but whatever, I never said I was all lady-like and growed-up. Oh no I didn't.

Focus motherbumper, get back on track and stop giving the prosecution any more ammo.

So today over at Her Bad Mother's lair, she is talking all about Sweetney's invitation to reveal yourself and all about truthiness. And I thought: motherbumper, you can do this. It's ballsy, balls which I don't possess, but ballsy nonetheless. And I like ballsy. Let's just leave it at that.

Isn't that a great word, truthiness?

It's a state I perpetually live in. Truthiness to me is not black, not white, just the way things are in my mind. Sometimes I forget that motherhood has kicked the last remnants of [media-defined] hotness I once possessed out the door. SB still sees it, I still feel it, but when I walk outside and catch glimpses of my reflection, I literally stop short.

I never thought that I'd be one of those people that (cue sinister dun dun dun duh music) LET THEMSELVES GO (*crash of cymbals*).

But you know, I haven't really let myself go. I still bathe. And I've just prioritized differently. Make-up, non-yoga pant outfits, and the other trappings of superficial beauty are low down on the list, and truthfully (or should I say, truthinessly) I do it just for the ladies now. When I get together with my friends, I'll slap on the war paint.

Kinda reminds me of a story I once read about Saudi women who appear fully veiled in public but underneath wore bright, borderline gaudy, super sexy outfits and full make-up. All for other woman, who were the only ones to see their peacock greatness besides family. Crazy but I get it. But that isn't really related to what I'm saying.

I'm avoiding the dare of truthiness.

Deep breath and here it goes. This is what 38 in the AM with no make-up, combined with motherhood looks like (sorry 'bout the flash, motherbumper is no Karsh):
Come on now, I dare you to do the same.

Update:
There is a Flickr group for Self-Portrait Truthiness set up by Sweetney and here are some other nekkid faces of the morning:
HBM
Sweetney
Breed 'Em & Weep
Missus Mamalogues
Mrs. Flinger
Ms. MotherBumper
Izzy
OTJ
Blog Chocolate


(if you do this, paste the other bloggers in your post - if you dare - post that is, not link - duh)

30 comments:

MamaMo said...

O.K., I'll bite, but I'm not buying the "letting yourself go" comment - you look great! and nice camera.

Jess said...

K -

You're beautiful.
I hope you know that.

Heather said...

And you look good too. Darn you women! Darn you all!

Ali said...

ah! i did this!

also...ballsy is the BEST word.
and way to be ballsy. you look hot!

Her Bad Mother said...

you pretty! and look your pretty robe!!!

I'm usually slumming in a wife-beater, but that's just me.

karengreeners said...

No fucking way I'm doing this.

Karen Bodkin said...

Aww you are adorable! And I'm with Catherine - also slumming in a wife beater in the a.m. but that's how we roll.

Mandy said...

you look good for a no warpaint state!

i just posted red hair pics yesterday (picked from a variety of awfulnesses), so i'll count that as my truthiness!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I think you're hawt, Babycakes.

If I looked as good as you without makeup I'd chuck every Mac product I own.

Run ANC said...

Wow - that's what you look like WITHOUT makeup? I'm going to crawl back in my hole now.

Tania said...

I will NEVER do this! I also hate you a little for not having dark circles under your eyes.

Janet said...

Shit. The more people I see doing this the less likely I am to do it. Why does everyone look so civilized in the morning? Without makeup?

I am a complete donkey.

SciFi Dad said...

I've only met you once, and that was in an admittedly poorly lit bar, but you look remarkably different when you don't "slap on the warpaint".

Not worse. I'd say better. But then again I'm not a warpaint fan.

Kudos to you for doing this.

(And dude... you're 38? You were, like, in SCHOOL, when I was born.)

Gabriella said...

Ok so far the 2 pictures that I've checked out are pretty damn good to me! Just wait if I post my recent passport picture; now that's a scary sight!

Whit said...

Damn, the rest of my crew is into wife beaters, I usually make mine coffee.

You look great. Are people buying the no make-up, bed-head thing so far?

Chris said...

You look great!

Needless to say, I won't be following suit. The world is not ready to see me without my makeup.

Anonymous said...

You are gorgeous. Inside and out baby.

And that robe ... um sexy ... I don't even own a robe.

Mayberry said...

It's loverly, the picture. And you.

Upside Up said...

damn girl - you're such a hottie!

also? your comment on the mary ann story on sk*rt was high-larious!

mamatulip said...

You are stunning.

And you have kick ASS skin.

kittenpie said...

I still can't believe you are 38. How do you DO that?

Anonymous said...

Aw, you are so beautiful.

Beyotch.

Just wait till I post my morning glow tomorrow...ew. Unless of course, I chicken out.

I can't be held responsible for my um, pansy like nature.

Candace said...

dude, it's my first visit and I don't know what you are talking about. you look damn good.

11111111 said...

Fine looking. Fine.

OhTheJoys said...

Sweet Jeebus! You is TEH HOT.

Anonymous said...

You're a doll — and just as priddy as I remember you to be!

the mama bird diaries said...

how can you look that good?

seriously?

there is no way, no how I would do this. i am way too shallow. i love my make-up bag.

Debbie said...

have I told you lately that you are EFFING HOT?

dude.

duuuuuude.

*tries to remember to have shed crush on MB prior to blogher this year*

VICTORIA said...

Okay, I've gone and dun it! Terrible, frightening...but I'll post this A.M.

Karen Bodkin said...

Okay I finally did it too. Ick.