Friday, June 22

my so called toddler

Bumper is no longer a baby.

She is also not a full blown toddler but she is definitely no longer a baby.

Sure, she can pitch a fit like a certified toddler, complete with high-pitched, dogs from miles around come a' running kind of screams.

She says "no" with authority and nowadays she means it.

She demands DORA! like a professional toddler.

She asks for apple juice and cookies with words!

But she still is a baby.

My baby.

I'm not ready to give up my baby for the toddler years just yet.

Do I get a say? Nope. It just keeps happening. And it is completely beyond my control.

Last week, she ditched me at the playground for the very first time.

I can admit that at that moment of being ditched for the cool kids, I wanted to cry.

She ran off with two older kids and helped them fill bags with sand. They all worked side by side, giggling. There was no room for mommy in the picture.

All I could do was sit back and watch.

Was I hurt? Did I feel rejected? A little bit but...

I was proud of how well she was socializing and communicating with her limited (but growing-every-minute) vocabulary. I was proud how she didn't bite, kick, push, punch, or pull hair when playing with these kids.

A young girl gave Bumper a bag and demonstrated how to fill it with sand. Bumper followed the instructions and when she finished, she lifted her sand bag with pride and showed it to the other children. The same girl praised her and they shared a moment of smiles and satisfaction of a job well done.


Seeing her run off with the other kids... well it almost made me want to have another baby right now.

Almost.

But before that happens, I'd like to get some sleep.

That isn't possible?

OK, I'll stick with one for now.

For now.

10 comments:

karengreeners said...

look at those overalls! no wonder the cool kids want to hang out with her.

And don't you worry, mama - in between the demands, tantrums and independence, there's still lots of cuddlybaby opportunities.

kittenpie said...

Honey, it is a good thing, really. I promise. And you'll still get your hugs when she wants. They are a bit sweeter for that, too, though I remember how much it hurts wehn she first started to push me away a bit.

But may I say - LOVING the overalls.

Run ANC said...

Aw, c'mon, you know you wanna join the Preggo Parade.

Independence is good.

Kyla said...

This might be a duplicate comment...or I might have accidentally closed the comment window too soon. *lol*

It is amazing and fun watching them grow into their own little person...but once in a while it hits you in the gut and you think "Where is my baby??"

Also, don't go getting knocked up now...then you can't drink at BlogHer! ;)

metro mama said...

Cakes is loving other babies right now. When I see how good she is with them, it makes me almost want to have another now. Almost.

Gabriella said...

It is a proud moment, when you know they're able to play with others or themselves for those few precious minutes!!
Enjoy!!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Oh my scrod, is that Bumper? In the hat? With the long-ish hair?? She's getting big, Mama. I don't think you can deny the toddler thing forever.

mamatulip said...

Oh, I know. I look at Oliver, the boy who exhausts me by 9.30am, and I think to myself, "Damn. He's growing up so fast. Maybe we should knock boots and have a third."

But...

Yeah. But.

Sandra said...

I still think of Monkeygirl as a baby until I see her next to a baby - was she ever that small??!!!

This second year is amazing - they change so quickly from week to week. Learning so much. So very proud of my little girl.q

ms blue said...

They do magically turn into a toddler. Each stage is incredible and I have to freeze frame some moments and hold on to them.

I often find myself asking the girls, "Wait did you get taller last night? No more milk products for you!"