Wednesday, February 18

drugstore cowgirl: an explanation

True Story: About a month or two back I was sitting with another bloggy friend talking about my review site.  I know, how boring, eh?

But there I was, droning on about how I love doing reviews and love saying yes to trying new things (insert dirty joke here) but hate writing the actual review,.  I'm often left wondering if I would have actually tried the product if it hadn't been offered to me gratis.

Anyhow, as I watched my friend's eyes glaze over from boredom, I kept talking about my small quandary.  She kept quiet, probably lost in a nice daydream, but that didn't stop me talking and eventually I came up with an answer to my reviewing dilemma - all - by - myself:

I decided that I am a drugstore cowgirl and that's the way things are going to be around my review blog from here on in.

Let me explain what the drugstore cowgirl is about.  Back in 2005, I had this vision in my mind that when I became a parent, Gigi would be an all organic baby, one of those totally natural kids that would only use products that came from the health food shops.  The health food shops I frequented back when I had a steady job and income - and that really cool stuff called disposable income.  Friends had gone the all natural route and thought: "that's me, I'm doing it up all natural with my baby, baby".  Yes folks, I actually speak like that in my head.

When my baby (finally) arrived, I was trying all the new all natural creams and lotions, buying samplers from every line and trying them each out, first on myself, then on her.  And many products were good (many were also yucky but I'm not here to talk about that) BUT many of those good products were also really expensive, and my wallet didn't agree with my product choices.  Like seriously didn't agree.  Yes, yes, my baby is worth more than the moon and stars put together, but I can't make money appear like magic. Yet.

So I decided to go back to the drugstores and to the brands I grew up using, and made it my mission to find body-friendly products that don't break the bank or cause us to break out in a rash.  So began the painless birth of my inner drugstore cowgirl.  Why cowgirl?  Why not, I've always wanted to be a cowgirl plus I look good in hats and I love boots.  And I've always found comfort in moseying around the drugstore and rustling up new products to try, in fact, I love doing it in foreign countries (like the US - ohhhh exotic Walgreens) and revel in useful and affordable goods that are easy to find.

Thus begins a new era in reviews for me: stuff I actually would buy, be able to afford, and love.  Novel eh?  Anyhow,  I'm kicking it off with a bunch of giveaways for Canadian readers over the next few weeks so come on over and enter to win a basket of goodies from Johnson's.

I'm not fancy folks but I love to give stuff away, and if there is something wrong with that, well I don't want to know about it ;)

18 comments:

Mr Lady said...

Love it.

I really want to review our deodorant, even though I bought it myself. Can I quote you? You know I think of you every morning...

Michelle said...

I think it's a great idea. I think most of us feel the same way about the organic stuff. If they'd only make it more affordable... But practicality will win out every time.

Ali said...

i cannot even begin to express to you the love i have for walgreens...*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Ride 'em cowgirl!

Kyla said...

And you can sing it to the tune of Rhinestone Cowboy, "like a drugstore cowgirl..." Awesome.

Anonymous said...

You go cowgirl!!

I was the same way when I was pregnant. It was going to go organic all the way with ecologically friendly products. That didn't work very well. :p

for a different kind of girl said...

Girl, I am a straight up, boots in the air whore for Walgreens. The fact they have one on nearly every corner where I live damn near wrecks me!


(word verification - didleup. Yes, Walgreens, I absolutely didleup on the first visit)

Vodka Mom said...

I heart Walgreens....

sue me

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I'm going to be singing "Like a Drugstore Cowgirl" to the tune of Rhinestone Cowboy ALL. DAY. LONG.

Thanks for that. Seriously.

11111111 said...

A drugstore cowgirl is better than a Midnight Cowboy.

Stimey said...

I know just what you mean. I've started writing reviews of things I have and love instead of just things people send to me. And I have a scathing review of my new toothpaste that's going up before too long.

mamatulip said...

I LOVE the revamped site. Love it!

Parent Club said...

Ride em' cowgirl! Life should be easy - on the budget and conscious

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great idea. I'm pregnant now and at first we thought we'd go all natural, but increasingly we're realizing that it just isn't going to work for us financially. At least not until we plant a money tree in the backyard. So we evolved our plan into "as natural as possible" with a focus on "oh yeah, and also pragmatic."

I think it's a natural evolution, so I'm glad to see that there are other moms out there who have been through the same thing!

moplans said...

I could spend hours in walgreens, or target, or publix for that matter. Hell even walmart. Why do all those same things packed in only one language seem so exotic

Chantal said...

I grew up in a border town and we used to cross into the states a lot. Me and my teen age friends would head over to the American drug store and oooh and aaah over all the stuff we couldn't get in Canada. I still enjoy and good browse around Shoppers but that is usually cause it is the some i-time with a Starbucks in my hand. :) Thanks for dropping by my place and offering the encouragement. I appreciate it.

Janet said...

Plus you have that rhinestone cowboy coffee mug! It all dovetails together. Perfect. Love it.

the mama bird diaries said...

i review products from time to time in my "drooling over this" on my blog.. but i'm so LAZY about writing them.