Tuesday, January 22

one part random, two parts me

First I saw this meme over at Ewe are Here and thought it was super cool. I'd totally buy Smoke Bomb based on artwork alone.

This one grabbed me (many don't but that is neither here nor there... why am I rambling?) anyhow... this one grabbed me because of fun factor: you are randomly assigned a band name, album name, and art work - you put it together and VOILA! You have a new profession of album artist.

Just think, sometime in the future some first year arts student might be taking a hit off a bong and cruising album cover artwork looking for hidden meaning or drug references in the graphics. And that little stoner who is flunking psychology 101 because he can't stay awake in class, well that same kid might spend an hour trying to figure out "what does this all mean, man?" when staring at one of your creations. Little does Fun Bobby know this "work of deep meaning" was randomly generated by someones mom. Or dad. Or (ack!) someone over 30 man. That is really trippy man.

Anyhow, it turns out I got tagged for this same meme over at Something Baby Blue and her results are totally stunning.

It's a hard act to follow. But I love this kind of meme because it's creative all art like, it's random, and in some cases - it can look pretty convincing.

I'm a visual person and I used to stare at album art work - the ones that encased real vinyl record albums - imagine that! I was totally hyper about the condition of those sleeves and would have to be strong armed to lend albums because dented corners on my works of art was painful to endure. Only slightly melodramtic, no?

So without further ado, motherbumper makes some album art!

The latest album from Hear and Now "end up owning you".

original photo by i.d.i.o.t

And we can't forget the new release from The Earth Girls Are Easy "friends who frequent it".

original photo by andre bernard

So this is how you do it (the meme rules copied directly from SBB **):

1. The first title on this page is the name of your band.

2. The last four words of the very last quote is the title of your album. Click the "New Random Quotations" button for more.

3. The third picture on this page will be your album cover. You then take the photo and add your band name and the album title to it, then post your picture. Please don't forget to give credit.

** This is rock and roll. Rules are made to be broken!

If you want to join in leave me a comment but I'm also going to tag some folks because I think they would have fun with this.

Mrs. Chicky
Chag at Cynical Dad
Mac & Cheese
TAG - YOU'RE IT!

15 comments:

Girl con Queso said...

Brill. Liant. Easily the best meme I've seen in forever. I'm so in.

Run ANC said...

want to do it badly but have no photoshop.

SciFi Dad said...

It's definitely an interesting meme, that's for sure.

Maybe I'll give it a shot, but it won't be up until the weekend.

ms blue said...

I knew I'd love your albums.

I'm sure Fun Bobby is convinced and is searching to download The Earth Girls Are Easy.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Dude, you totally tagged me and I don't hate you for it. Go figure.

I'm up for this challenge because I am obsessed with album covers and yours are completely brilliant.

Kyla said...

Is this meme not the BEST? So fun.

I love yours.

OhTheJoys said...

Mine was lame.

Band name: Comedy Dave
Album: Live up to it
Photo: Obama campaign poster

Did NOTHING for me.

:(

mamatulip said...

I loved the way Ewe Are Here spun this meme...

karengreeners said...

i must be dim, because i don't really get what you're supposed to do, but all the same, love the album covers!

ewe are here said...

Oh these are freakin' brilliant. Seriously, brilliantly fun.

Anonymous said...

I love this. Brilliant.

I would totally have bought a cd based on that second cover. LOoOOve it.

Julie Marsh said...

Okay, this meme cracks me up, having tried valiantly to get record label creative services teams to work more efficiently. Maybe we should've just shown them the links behind this meme.

metro mama said...

Can I be in your band? I can play tamborine. And flash my titties.

Karen Bodkin said...

I did this and keep forgetting to post it. I know I know...loser!
Yours turned out AWESOME!

jennie said...

This was fun - I played yesterday and could have kept going for a long time. What does that say about me?
Here's what I ended up with:
http://gonelsons.com/2008/01/24/its-like-that-game.aspx