Tuesday, April 24

One Tiny Treasure found

There is a store across the street that is only open Thursday through Saturday, and just for a few hours each day. Book Ends is where withdrawn library books, magazines and other materials go to find new homes.

I love the store for a multitude of reasons, I love giving back to the community, I love books and magazines, I love the prices, and I especially love finding a treasure like this one:


Fifty-cents folks. That's all this tiny little book, Alligators All Around by Maurice Sendak cost me. It was published in 1962 and is in mint condition.

In case you are wondering, it's for me, not Bumper.

Have you ever found a wonderful treasure like this at a flea market, jumble sale, or second hand shop? I love hearing about those stories so please share. Like one time I found these Perry Ellis linen pants in off white and my size at a Frenchy's store on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. I paid a dollar for them and they were my best dress pants for-ev-ah (until a surly and shifty roomate took off with them - but that's a whole other post).

So share with me your story - write a post and leave me a comment and I'll come check it out. Or just leave it in my comments. I just love to hear these stories.

New posts are up at MommyBlogsToronto and Her Bad Mother has lots to report on her recent trip. Go check it out now (no shame in promotion here folks, no shame at all).

And if you are in Ontario and a blogger, you should join the new MommyBlogsToronto Blogroll (not a lick of shame folks, seriously, I'm shameless).

12 comments:

ms blue said...

Wow! I love it. That is a great find. I wasn't exactly encouraged to thrift shop. I once bought a second hand coat. I loved it but my dad threw it away because it disgusted him.

My mother-in-law is the complete opposite. She thinks I'm extravagant if I buy sale items from Zellers.

I once had a roommate in Saskatoon
We were known to croon a tune
3 sofas cost her fifty bucks
Thrilled with her lucks
She was completely over the moon.

(Oh my I'm a loser.)

Gabriella said...

I will definetly have to check that store out when I go back to work.
The only thing I lucked out finding was a suede jacket with fringe, mind you it was the late 80's, in NY for $5.00!!!

Kyla said...

Very cool. And I love the smell of old books. I think I'd visit that store very often if I lived nearby.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

That book is adorable. Sadly, we are lacking in cool stores like that out here in the 'burbs.

kittenpie said...

That, in case you wanted to know, is one of the four tiny books that came in a slipcase together as "The Nutshell Library" and some of them are part of Really Rosie, Sendak's musical with Carole King. That one should have a cute dust jacket - the DJs were light blue or light green, depending on which of the four books. I had that set as a kid, and I bought a new version for Pumpkinpie. Also in the set are "Pierre" "Chicken Soup with Rice" and "One Was Johnny." They are all great. Sendak's a freaking genius. You can get them in a slightly larger size as individual titles through the library to share with Bumper - totally worth it!

mamatulip said...

HEY! I love Alligators All Around! What a GREAT find.

Today I found a pair of Calvin Klein cords, beige, mint condition, at Value Village (or, as we like to call it, The Double V Lounge), for less than TEN BUCKS.

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL little book!

karengreeners said...

oooh, that's so exciting.

me and my sister picked up about 10 issues of archie comics from the late 60s at a flea market when I was about 10 and holy smokes, they are still treasured items.

karengreeners said...

p.s. Mama T - we call it VV Boutique.

moplans said...

What a great little book. I love a good find.

My placenta brain is in high gear. I will come back if I can ever recall a good story.

crazymumma said...

Thrift shopping. You are taliking dirty to me Bumper. And what a beautiful find that book is!

So many treasures I have found in my life. But the two big ones would be the suede cowboy fringe jacket for me (goodwill), and the cotton version for my grrrls (value village).

Am I on the blog roll at MBT? If not, shove me on please? Pretty please?

Anonymous said...

What a great find! I love his illustrations.