Tuesday, August 15

random acts of art

We went out for a walk and a trip to the park now that the weather has dropped below 650 degrees with a humidex of 780.

We came upon some random art.

No signage. No explanation. No artist's name.

My best guess is the kids from the nearby middle school.

Now I'll be truthful here: I don't really like teenagers.

No, no, let me rephrase that: I'm scared of teenagers.

Yes, yes, I'm an ageist sometimes.

But if these are the works of teenagers, then I have a brand new respect for the youth of today. I've been smacked out of my prejudice and I'm going to ask for forgiveness.

Maybe they will take care of us (not "take care" of us but you know, actually let us live with dignity unlike what we are doing to so many of our own).

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies. This is the dawning of the rest of my life.**

No caption required. Just absolutely perfect on it's own.

My favorite for personal reasons

What a wonderful day.

May we all trip upon such beauty when most unexpected.

** edited to add: I just discovered this is a Green Day lyric. I used to be able to sniff quotes out at 50 paces... now I just must be getting old.

8 comments:

kittenpie said...

Oooh, I like the random art!
You would be amazed at the incredible talent and thoughtfulness that can be hidden in a sullen-seeming teenager. They can be pretty amazing, the real live ones. It's sad that they seem to be represented by the plastic and vapid these days. I prefer, say, Julia Stiles and Sean Patrick Reynolds in Save The Last Dance.

karengreeners said...

my favorite art in the city recently was not art, but some really awesome graffiti: while construction was being done on the (relatively) new starbucks at queen/dovercourt, there was a message scrawled loud and clear in black spray paint on the door -

YOU DID THIS DRAKE! YOU PIMP!

loooove it.
(p.s. i am also slave to the frappucino, so...)

karengreeners said...

p.s. i tagged you! linky thing not working right now, but i'll fix it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a great way to start the day.

Unexpected art is even better than unintentional dessert.

Her Bad Mother said...

What a COOL post. Truly, love it. Do more!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Don't you just love stumbling upon beauty? If those were made by local teenagers, you've got some talented kids near you.

ms blue said...

I love the way the art is displayed. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

It is so uplifting to view such creative endeavors. How wonderful to stumble across this.

crazymumma said...

I love public art in wierd places. toronto needs more more more...thanks for the show!