Friday, July 14

Did someone say shoes?

Okay - so no new pearly whites but Bumper is eating a bit more food and is a bit more alert. Thank you for all your kind words of support and drink orders on my last post. In terms of the next to no eating, I've actually resorted to leaving little piles of food around the playarea (once known as the living room) and am secretly jumping for joy (in my head because the apartment is really small) everytime I see her grab a piece of cereal or mum mum. It's like she is some kind of stray animal that I'm trying to capture and domesticate. But just so you don't go calling social services on my ass, I know she's a baby and not feral. At least not yet. Though the cats have been treating her more like one of their own since she started going after their kibbles. ANYHOOOOOO......

Over at i obsess, Lil'Debbie put out a request at the end of her delicious post about shoes. And I quote: "I would like to request that anyone who has some delectable shoes wasting away, lonely and depressed, in their closets, to post some snaps. Give those shoes a wee taste of the limelight. They'll thank you for it."

Hell ya! I'll show you my shoes (cue lights and slideshow please).

Since the summer weather has begun, you will usually find one of these pairs on my feet. The Old Navy high heel flip flops rock and the Payless fabric ones are always a hit (yes folks, I'm a sucker for inexpensive shoes in addition to filthy expensive ones. Here at casa bump we do not discriminate. Except when it comes to toilet paper. No cheap toilet paper. My butt is worth it.)
If I'm not wearing those you may find me in (cue sinister music) CROCS!

cue screams of disgust and protest

whatever...
Back me up urban_mommy, I know you love your Crocs too. I don't care what Dooce says I like my Crocs.

But I do solemnly swear that I will not wear them out in public. The laundry room is the furthest they will get out of the apartment. (I already swore to this on Metro Mama's site somewhere in her comments).

Moving right along. Now these are my all time favs. I love my puma's. Bright orange pumas. I get teased about the colour but I also get compliments galore from hip folk. They have served me well.
Yes, yes, this was supposed to be about neglected shoes. So onto the lonely ones.

When I was pregnant last summer and carrying around that extra 65 lbs (hell ya! I was H.U.G.E.) I wore these wonderful MAGs. So cushiony and they served me well. I wore them in the boardroom and didn't give a rat's ass about the dirty looks from the big boys. None of them ever tried to wedge their swollen feet into pumps before and this girl wasn't going to hurt herself trying. Did I mention that I had to phone in sick while I was pregnant because I didn't have any shoes that fit? Yes, it's true, even these wide canoes did not fit my feet one humid day and I couldn't find anything short of fuzzy bedroom slippers to wear on my feet. I called in "can't fit in my shoes" to work.
Before I moved to Toronto, I wore these puppies all the time. Sweet little green dragons and they made me TALL! (have I mentioned I'm just wee?) They now are in the back of my closet and haven't been out to play in a long time. Maybe I'll keep them for Bumper's dress-up trunk.

Now of course these are my practical shoes for work. The ones on the left are dark grey fabric and the ones on the left are Tommy Beat my ass Hilfiger dark navy blue mary-janes. I love them both and I can run in them. That is very important if you are always double booked for client meetings (as I used to be) or running from the big boys who hate your shoes. They are wicked comfy and if I need to look polished ever again I know they will see the light of day.Now for the shoes that I have no where to wear (cue sad music). These sweet little ones from Zara are begging for a date night. Someday my sweets, someday soon I hope.

And my wedding shoes. That cost a mint. And are the smoothest kid leather I have ever felt. And sooooo comfy. And so pretty. And worn once. But worth every penny.
Now these little guys danced their way across the bars of London and Bath. I bought them in Camden Market and proceeded to never take them off because for some odd reason they made me feel sexy. They are falling apart but I can't give them up until I find a suitable replacement.
And I cannot forget my workhorses: the Blundstones. In the winter, these puppies are on my feet all the time. So comfy and they look great with jeans. And the best part? No laces!


I guess those last two pair would qualify as boots.

Oh. My. God. Did someone say boots? No? Okay so no one said boots but me. But look! I have so many lonely boots:
Not interested. OK. Never mind the boots. Anyway, there isn't enough space in the blogsphere for me to start talking about my boots.

What's that? Yes, yes. In the middle there are my old faithfuls: My Docs. My lil'ol eight-holes that I've had since I was 19. They are full of holes but I still love 'em. I can never give those away. Sigh.

So that concludes my shoe tour. Thank you Lil'Debbie for the invitation to share. I extend the invite to anyone else who wants to liberate their little friends. Revel in your inner Imelda Marco and share with the world. Amen.

19 comments:

metro mama said...

Love those Pumas!

My Pumas are my favorite pair of shoes.

Anonymous said...

I love the Mary Janes! I would totally have bought those.

And the dragon clogs are fabulous.

Debbie said...

that's hilarious, and so much fun! I love a good parade of shoes.

can't BELIEVE you still have your old eight-holes. wow. I'm impressed.

oh, and those Zara pumps? *dreamy*

Her Bad Mother said...

Nobody better be dissin' crocs. How else am I supposed to get my giant post-preggo trotters through a day of walking and wading pools?

(Sorry that I missed your blue posts. 'S'been rough around here, too. Hope Miss Bumper is feeling better (and you too!)

Gabriella said...

I loved this post! I actually just went through my closet and have a big garbage bag of shoes to donate. I broke down and tossed out shoes from 1988!!!!
Shoes are my one obsession.

kittenpie said...

aw, I still have my old 8-holes from when I was 19 too...
I'm slowly going through and finding all the shoes that no longer fit post-preggy, and giving them to my friend who has so far reaped a good 8 pairs or so, and I haven't even hit the fancier ones still stored in their boxes yet. Urk. That is going to hurt.

Dawn said...

I love my collection of merrills and birkenstocks, and I used to have a pair of docs....long ago, and far away...

karengreeners said...

as a lover of birkies, danskos and all things clodhopper, i'll give props to the crocs. i don't have them yet (should i get blue? orange? pink? i am colour blocked!) but the summer's not over...
btw, you would indeed see me trekking down the danforth in them, guaranteed.

crazymumma said...

All you gals with shoe issues, go read my post from today....

Why don't you put the cheerios inside the shoes? She would love the game...mmmmmmmmm yummy.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Live in my Blundstones too..love them! I wear them until it's too hot to wear them anymore (even with shorts).

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I love those Crocs. I keep meaning to buy a pair but never get around to it. I hear they are super-fabulously-oh-so-comfortable.

And the Pumas? Fabulous. I have a cool, hip sneaker fetish. It started after I gave up wearing heels to work with the doggies. Can't chase after a pooch in high heels!

Pendullum said...

Love the shoes...
I have a whole basement full of shoes...
Can not bare to part with any of them...
Have a problem...
and so does the rest of my family....
3 of us and endless shoes...
I have crocs and I HAD to wear them in public as for no reason a pair of shoes old favourites gave me blisters for NO REASON...and I had to go for comfort...I was sooooo embaressed... but I had to get over it...
held my head up and hobbled in my crocs...
i am an old lady in sensible shoes... my own worst nightmare...

Canadian Mommy said...

Ok, so jealous of the boots. I am getting a pair of nice boots when I loose some baby weight. I have been looking everywhere for the perfect pair. I have yet to find them.
Oh, and I love my crocs. Specially while preggo. They are just too comfy. I just gotta say!

Mom O Matic said...

Oooh crocs. I'm so on the fence. I want them but I know if I put them on my feet I WILL wear them beyond the laundry room.

Sandra said...

So fun! Gotta love a good shoe :)

Jezer said...

I feel that i know you so much better now! Looks like I'll be making some pics of the footwear today!

Anonymous said...

I had a pair of Puma's that I wore constantly. They were like, the best shoes ever. Seeing your pair makes me want to go buy some.

I love the second pair of boots you have pictured -- they look all sorts of comfy.

Baby in the City said...

Straight uo BM, the Crocs rock(s). YEs, ugly, frumpy, comfortable shoes are in. As HBM says, bad is the new good. Ugly is the new beautiful (unless your are Suri - nevermind).
Glad the bump is doing better and like the new pic!

Baby in the City said...

Not to be anal, but I have to ask that everyone forgive me - yes, again! - for my lousy grammar and spelling (see above comment). Sigh. What can I say, I have a babe on my boob. Makes typing a tad challenging.